Non-Immigrant Visas

Non-immigrant visas are the most common way for individuals from other countries to come to the United States legally.  This is not citizenship, this is legal entry into the U.S. for a specific purpose such as tourism, work or school.  There are many different categories of visas, and the foreigner’s status category will determine what things he or she can do while in the U.S. (such as work in a certain field or study at a university).

With some exceptions, most non-immigrants will need a visa to enter the U.S.  The process begins with the submission of an application to an American consulate, followed by an interview with a consular officer.  The interview is a stringent process where the officer verifies that there are no grounds for inadmissibility and that the applicant intends to return to their country of residence.  Applicants also are screened to ensure he or she is not a risk to national security or health.

Memphis Immigration Lawyer for Visas

Unlike green cards (permanent residency), visas are temporary.  They are for temporary stay in the U.S. and must be renewed.  A visa allows you only to enter the country and to engage in certain activities while you’re here.  

Some of the more common types are business or tourist visas (B-1 and B-2), H1-B temporary specialty workers, student visas, J-1 exchange visitors, fiancée (K-1) visas, and visas for specialty occupations such as athletes, artists and entertainers.

If you are interested in obtaining a visa for a family member or employee, contact Memphis immigration lawyer Patrick Stegall for more information.